Monday, December 17, 2012

Acceptance is the Beauty of Yoga.




I love Fridays. Although I am really worn out from the whole week that has just passed, the evening led class is such a wonderful way to end the week. The effort I need to put in my practice is greater than any other day due to physical tiredness but the energy in the shala is lifting everybody up. 

So, last Friday we had another full primary series led class at the studio. It was probably the most demanding one I had so far since all the week was crazy. Christmas holidays are just around the corner and the daily work load has increased dramatically. To be completely honest, when I left the office I was really thinking to drop the class and just go home to rest. I had a debate with myself, one part of me was trying to get me home and the other one was convincing me to go to the studio which I fortunately did.


Just a few asanas before entering the closing sequence (I would say somewhere around Supta Konasana I was exhausted. Same was the guy that was practicing to my right side and the girl to my left. Our teacher understood that and encouraged us gently saying that there are only a few asanas left and that we can always go to child’s pose for as long as our body requires. As soon as he said these words we all looked at him and genuinely smiled, a smile that came from our hearts. A smile stating that no matter how tired we felt physically, we were grateful to be in the class, grateful to be able to practice and to be supported by our teacher and by each other.
Our teacher saw the reaction and was content. He mentioned that this is the beauty of yoga. To realize what you do and why you do it without complaining. To accept the facts as they are (in this particular occasion was the physical body exhaustion but it applies to everything) and embrace them, doing the best that you can in the given time.


I agree with his statement, I really do. I know understand why my parents used to tell me that I should not think that much ever since I was a little girl. I was always preoccupied by analytical thoughts or making assumptions for issues that hadn't aroused yet or things that I could not (and should not) explain spending almost all of my mental and emotional energy for nothing. I am not saying that I am not still doing that, but since I started practicing yoga and especially now that I am practicing Ashtanga I have noticed that I am able to accept more things than I used to in the past. Whether these things are aspects of my own self, a random event that may happen on the street when I'm on my way to work or a specific behavior from a loved one, I find it easier to observe it without having to over-analyze every little detail. There is a sense of making peace, liberation and inner tranquility that acceptance creates in me which I do not remember feeling before. And it is beautiful!

6 comments:

  1. How long have you been practicing Ashtanga?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brianna! I have been practicing and experimenting with different types of yoga since 2009 (mainly liked power yoga) but I only started Ashtanga this September. And definitely sticking with it!

      Delete
    2. Sweet! I started with Ashtanga about a year and a half ago. However, I think I'll be starting from square one again now. Last night only managed 5 Sury A's and 2 Sury B's :/ but I'm going to keep at it. :)

      I, too, have tried lots of different types. Hot Yoga is cool but I like vinyasa best (outside of Ashtanga I mean).

      Delete
    3. Haven't tried hot yoga to be honest. But from all the types I tried these years, Ashtanga just "clicked" for me.
      No matter what it is that you do if you let go you have to start from square one but I'm sure you will be back in no time! :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read it Zee. :)

      Delete

I'd love to know your opinion, please leave a comment!