Friday, December 14, 2012

Switching to a Vegetarian Diet?



All my life my diet has been Mediterranean style with a little more meat (well I live in Greece, duh?) and I never ever intended to change it. I really like it. Or should I say liked it? If someone told me that I would stop eating meat I would definitely laugh at their face. No way, you can’t say that to a meat lover! Until recently, a common week would consist of 3-4 days of meat, 1-2 days of fish and 1-2 days legumes. All meals include plenty of vegetables and olive oils, fruits are part of the plan too. Then a few times per week there are eggs, dairy, pasta or rice.


Here’s the deal… lately and for no particular reason I have difficulties eating meat or fish.  For the past 4 weeks I only had meat on Saturday lunches and all other meals are legumes, vegetables, noodles, wild rice etc. I eat cheese very moderately, eggs rarely but drink a good amount of milk. I have no idea what is going on, but whatever that is, it is not happening deliberately.  

I discussed it here and there and people in and out of the yoga community mention that it could be related to my practice and I should listen to my body. I was quite surprised the first few days, then I got a bit scared and overwhelmed but I settled down. If this is an addition to all the amazing things that have been happening to me since I started practicing Ashtanga then I will definitely welcome it.

2 comments:

  1. I gave up meat on weekdays for the same reason. I had a lot of digestive issues (or something!), lots of abdominal pains. After doing that, my tummy settled, hope yours does the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally did not have any issues, however I do feel a lot better than when I ate meat 3-4 times per week. I think I will eventually go all the way and give up meat completely.

      Delete

I'd love to know your opinion, please leave a comment!